What is the Smart Survey way?
Dev IQ’s Smart Surveys provide huge advantages over paper surveys:
- Ask questions in the moment, during the Trip day
- Use a built-in clock to know when things happened without requesting input from the respondent
- Use GPS to know where respondents are without asking
- Auto-detect a complete Trip using logic
- Ask interactive questions and include help information and instructions
- Dynamically control the tracking period for a given user
- Deliver dynamic backend status/progress
- Increase the audience size with little expense (quicker convergence on sufficient valid data for each target demographic)
- Enable respondents to complete 100% of tasks (including all Trip tracking, notifications, etc.) WITHOUT an Internet connection
Because of the vast quantity of data generated by mobile technologies and the ability to parse and report in various complex ways, transportation surveys with a ‘smart’ platform have the potential to become a black-hole of time and resources – unique in many ways from other software programs – and therefore require laser focus to establish clear project requirements and boundaries.
DVmobile’s process of generating Smart Surveys has concrete logic to optimize the end-product and eliminate scope-creep:
1) ESTABLISH WHAT CITIES & PLANNERS NEED
- Statistically relevant data
- Parity of statistics taken in the past (e.g. capturing 24 hrs of data)
- A smart phone app that cuts down the costs of collection and coding
2) ESTABLISH WHICH GPS/ACTIVITY FEATURES TO TRACK
- Know where respondents are when first running the app
- Determine the start/end of a Trip (date/time and location)
- Have a rough idea of the route to their destination (speed, heading, location points with time, activity points)
3) ESTABLISH WHAT TO ASK USERS FOR A GIVEN ‘TRIP’
- Purpose of Trip
- Sub-purpose of Trips (e.g. reason for stops on the way to work)
- Modes of transportation (direct input or validation of automatic detection)
- Mode-specific information (e.g. bus line taken)
- Vehicle occupancy
- Feedback to ensure accuracy of detected Trip
4) ESTABLISH WHAT TO ASK USERS AS SURVEY QUESTION-SETS
- Demographic information
- Commute-specific information or other Trip information scoped more than a 24 hr period
- Feedback regarding experience with the app and accuracy of overall Trip detection
- Automation validation
5) ESTABLISH HOW TO ENGAGE USERS TO COMPLETE ALL THE QUESTIONS WITH ACCURACY
- “In the moment” Trip annotation while details are fresh in their minds reduces the number of questions asked later
- Notifications providing instructions or friendly reminders to complete a Trip or answer survey questions
- Quick-and-engaging, conversational form interface that feels like texting a few responses
- Intuitive user interface that clearly communicates Trip and survey status
Book a free meeting with Dev IQ’s Experts to discuss how a SmartSurvey implementation can help your organization.
Let’s build something beautiful together.
CTO, multiple patent holder, & flip-phone collector.